Integrated Merchant – Senior Buyer
Once upon a time, a store in Chelsea named STORY decided to act like a magazine and change its theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks—creating an immersive retail experience. Fast forward seven years and STORY has become a model for the future of retail, pioneered a new retail media business model, and built a vibrant community of consumers and small businesses, all while partnering with Fortune 500 companies in totally new ways. Now, STORY is ready to take the success of its NYC location national, and its next chapter lives within select Macy’s doors— we are seeking an amazing “author” to help us write it!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Integrated Merchant role exists to develop and execute a strategic merchandising vision. This role is unlike a typical Buying role because of our unique narrative-driven merchandising approach. You’ll be challenged to research and develop by-store and channel assortment plans and allocation strategies using non-traditional tools and metrics to do so. And you’ll also be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile, more adaptive, more human—so throw the old playbook away. A typical day for this role might include going to market, concepting a merchandise strategy and leveraging technical expertise to identify opportunities, develop assortment plans, and implement allocation strategies and regular collaboration with our Vendor Experience Manager, Director of Operations and Director of Training. In the end, it’s all about the vendors, the product and the customers. This role reports to the Director of Merchandising.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Assist in development of assortment and assortment planning, which support the high-level assortment vision and maximize sales, margin, and turnover.
- Collaborate with Integrated Merchant on business strategy to determine specific category and product behaviors to build foundation for allocation strategies.
- Develop and maintain strong vendor relationships.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5 Years of experience with buying, merchandising and planning.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to adapt quickly.
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Strong communication, both in-person and through modern tools and platforms.
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent.
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice.
- Cross-functional exposure and experience in past roles.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Financial and operational acumen.
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
Interested? Apply here!