Director of Events
Once upon a time, a store in Chelsea named STORY decided to act like a magazine and change its theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks—creating an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. Fast forward seven years – STORY has become a model for the future of retail, pioneered a new retail media business model, and built a vibrant community of consumers and small businesses, all while partnering with Fortune 500 companies in totally new ways. Now, STORY is ready to take the success of its NYC location national by not just changing the paint on the car, but reinventing the engine. STORY’s immediate next chapter lives within select Macy’s stores— we are seeking amazing co-authors to help us write it!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Director of Events exists to create experiences that fosters STORY’s overall theme narrative and community engagement. This role is unlike a typical Events Director because of STORY thoughtfully and strategically integrates eventing into merchandising, content creation, engagement and access. You’ll be challenged to design programming and role it out at scale in a manner in which has not yet been done! And you’ll also be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile, more adaptive —so throw the old playbook away. A typical day for this role might include brainstorming programming for an upcoming theme, partnering with marketing + digital on strategy, engaging new event partners and meeting with store leadership to gain feedback and insights on what is going on at the store level and regular collaboration with merchandising, operations and marketing. In the end, it’s all about (internal + external!) community engagement. This role reports to the VP of STORYtelling.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Create strategy to execute engaging, aligned, and continuous events at scale across STORY locations to meet target programming goals for each store. Responsible for designing national programming content across all STORY doors and manage master calendar of events. Design digital strategy for content to be shared via online platforms. Guides to include video assets, messaging objectives, calendar of events, creative collateral, among other resources to support regional event execution teams..Develop external communication and PR strategy to promote events. Ensure programing is aligned with current STORY sponsor objectives and themes to make narrative come to life, engage customers, generate buzz
- Define types of events, key national partnerships, and marketing direction for each narrative installation. Identify and maintain relationship with programming partners/vendors. Proactively engage and network to build strong relationships with an extensive network of key contacts. Create criteria for evaluating/prioritizing partners for future events
- Develop event management tools and supplies. Prior to launch of each new story, create and circulate the new “event playbook” to key stakeholders including District Event Managers, STORY Store Managers, and Regional Managers
- Develop data-driven approach that capture customer insights and feedback from field teams to inform the direction of future events – Produce assessment of event briefs and “wrap-up” reports that identify successes and future test and learn opportunities
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality
- Perform other duties as assigned
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it
- At least 10 years of experience in event programming and production.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to adapt quickly
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Strong communication, both in-person and through modern tools and platforms
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice
- Cross-functional exposure and experience in past roles
- Financial and operational acumen
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
Interested? Apply here!