Three Spring Recipes From Our Culinary Friends
Spring is almost springing, and as a new crop of vegetables hits the farmers’ markets, we can’t wait to bring a few new veggie-forward recipes into the kitchen. We scanned our friends’ cookbooks at Love STORY and are reproducing a few favorites here. Mangia!
Food52 A New Way to Dinner: A Playbook of Recipes and Strategies for the Week Ahead
Grain Salad with Asparagus, Baby Turnips, Feta, and Preserved Lemon Dressing
For the dressing
- Combine 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp charmoula, 1 tbps chopped preserve lemon, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, juice of 1 lemon, pinch of sugar, lots of freshly ground black pepper in a mason jar. Cover the jar and shake it like a mad(wo)man! Taste and adjust the seasoning.
For the salad
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add 1 cup wheat berries and cook at a gentile boil for 30 minutes. Stir in 1 cup jasmine rice, then 5 minutes later, stir in 1/2 cup quinoa. Cook the grains until they’re tender but not soft, about 5 minutes. Drain and let cool. Store in fridge.
- Get out a big bowl and mix together the cooked grains, 8 oz sauteed asparagus, 8 baby turnips (scrubbed and cut into small wedges), and any leftover chicken or steak you may have on hand. Give the dressing a good shake to re-emulsify it, then pour half of it over the grains. Fold together. Top with feta.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over low. Add 2 large onions thinly sliced, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden. 45 minutes. Raise heat to medium low and cook until lightly browned and carmelized, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly
- Combine 1 Tbs sugar, 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, and a generous pinch of salt in a bowl. Place figs (12oz in total), cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Roast until tender and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Dividing evenly, top each slice of baguette with some carmelized onions, figs, arugula, and a sprinkle of parmigiano-reggiano. Serve immediately.
Cook 1 package of King Soba rice noodles according to the directions on the package, then run them under cold water, and drain them well. In a medium bowl, toss the noodles with 2-3 tbsp olive oil.
- While the noodles are cooking, bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Have a bowl of ice water ready nearby. Blanch 1/2 lbs of green beans in the boiling water until they are tender and bright green, about 2 minutes, then remove them from the hot water and immediately sub- merge them in the ice water to stop the cooking. Drain them, and cut each bean into thirds.
- Stir the beans, 10 cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup pitted olives, 8-10 fresh basil leaves, zest and juice form 1 lemon, salt, and pepper into the bowl of noodles. Adjust the seasonings to taste, and serve.