In Conversation: Zipeng Zhu
For Beauty, STORY turned to non-other than Zipeng Zhu to help us illustrate and bring to the life our point of view on Beauty.
Zipeng literally lifted the conversation about unique, diverse, inclusive and choose-your-own-adventure beauty off the page and a created dynamic, sophisticated and accessible graphic journey that seamlessly punctuates the store design + merchandise.
We had a chance to sit down and get a little glimpse inside his wildly colorful and creative head…
1. Tell us about your background. Have you always been so bright + colorful?
I’m from China and funny enough, my Chinese name means “an exuberant kid”, so I just try to live up to my name and yes I’ve been always so bright and colorful.
2. Favorite subject in school?
Chemistry, I was a biochem major before I decided to pursue my passion in design.
3. Who inspires you?
My grandma, my mom inspires me to keep going. Keith Harring and Yayoi Kusama inspires me to be bolder.
4. Any hidden talents?
I’m very flexible…
5. Favorite New York museum?
6. Who are a few people we should follow on Instagram?
@camillewalala Best Patterns
@zach.lieberman Best Code
@homsweethom Best Puns
7. How would you describe your approach to design?
Start small then blow it up!
8. What brands do you most admire and how do they influence your work?
Opening Ceremony and Acne, I love how design is influenced in every single step of the experience. They have an amazing store, awesome website, and wonderful clothing.